Friday, November 21, 2014

Let's Play Favourites! with Loraine Birchall

Our next guest is Loraine Birchall (lor-artemis on Ravelry) of Woolly Madly Deeply.


Let’s play favourites!

1. Which of your designs is your most favourite?

This is tough, it’s like having to choose the favourite one of your kids lol. I think my favourite accessory is the Cabled Kid Hat, it’s a great way to use up a couple of strands of contrasting or toning lace weights and those bits of kid silk you’ve had in your knitting bag forever. The cables are easily memorised and the hat itself weighs so little and fits into your pocket or purse.

My favourite garment is the Adult Modular Cardigan, it’s so versatile, a boxy Chanel style jacket you can dress up or just wear with jeans.

2. Which of your patterns would be your favourite recommendation to a novice knitter/crocheter?

The Aine Hat or Mitts have some simple stripes and some slipped stitches but nothing a beginner couldn’t handle, if you can knit and purl you can make these, worked flat and seamed they are an easy way to do colourwork using only one colour per row, no stranding or floats.

3. And which one would be such to a more experienced knitter/crocheter?

The Annabella dress, it’s worked bottom-up in the round and has a gorgeous lace pattern for a swingy hem.

4. What is your most favourite part of designing?

Wearing the finished object :) and feeling fabulous in it.

5. Favourite knitting/crocheting technique?

Judy’s Magic Cast on, it’s so versatile for socks obviously, but great for the back of a collar worked top down, shawls, scarves etc. Wonderful technique. I use it to start off my tubular cast on too. I’m also a great fan of icord edgings to finish things off nicely.

6. Favourite yarn brand/yarn type?

I love Lanas Stop, the quality of the yarns is fantastic for the price. Their Dulce Cashmere is dreamy.

7. Favourite place to knit/crochet?

Anywhere, I always have knitting with me! I love to knit at home, the cinema (socks are best for this or plain hats in the round) or in meetings as it helps me concentrate. I can crochet but use it more to embellish my knits, I plan to learn more having seen your patterns!

8. Favourite colour combination?

Greys with purples/pinks or any shades of blue used together.

9. What are your (favourite) designing plans for 2015?

I’m still working on an ebook which should have been out in 2014 but due to work pressures was delayed, that should be ready in the Spring.

10. Is there a designer-GAL participant, whose designs you favourited most of all?

Julie Trice, MindofWinter has some breathtaking garments and accessories. I love Jenise Reid’s Persian Dreams, Bristol Ivy has some gorgeous items, her play with construction is very clever.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the interview, the images look great. It has been lovely getting to know you both and see more of your work. I'm definitely hooked on crochet after seeing your work.
    Loraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this great interview and your compliments, Loraine! It has been a pleasure getting to know you and your work too!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly