Monday, March 24, 2014

From Cowl to Cowl (or alternative uses for projects you're going to frog)

by Lena Fedotova (ravliki)

One of my favorite exercises for boosting creativity is to find non-traditional ways of using standard things.

I remembered it when I got stuck with my hairpin cowl project and had to rip it again and again. I had a few problems with it, but the main one was that hairpin lace didn't hold its shape and turned into a ridiculous mess around my neck. It just didn't want to be a cowl. So I let it be a skirt!


Sometimes it takes awhile to remember that you are allowed to be creative, even a little bit crazy, and look for unusual solutions. That's why a project I started in 2012 was only finished in 2014.

I was crocheting the La Mar hat for myself and loved everything about it, especially the stitch pattern (no one thinks it's crochet!). I finished and sewed my hat very quickly, and the only thing left was to start wearing it. Or at least take a picture of it! And that took me almost two years.

I am not a hat person at all and I don't wear hats. It was wrong to think that having made a great hat I would start wearing them (and look beautiful in them). Of course not! So, what do I do? One day, having been bitten by a creativity bug, I removed the seam on the top of the hat and pulled it down. Just look at it now! Isn't it a great cowl?!

So, if you are not satisfied with your project, try to find an alternate use for it. It works!

Be creative and happy stitches to you all! :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Designs shown: 
La Mar Hat by Yuliya Tkacheva
Ocean Samba Skirt by Lena Fedotova

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly