Suncatcher: Edging

I thought for a long time that edgings, these gorgeous, bold, and eye-catching edgings are my designer's weak point. Because I could not design anything like that. Until I realized that I was looking at the problem from the wrong angle.



Not every shawl needs a bold edging. Typically, such gorgeous edgings are accompanied with a plain or neutral st patt for the shawl body to keep it balanced and not overwhelming. As long as I use a textured, bold, or eye-catching stitch pattern for the main part of the shawl, I avoid bold edgings instinctively. If the shawl body is the star, it's best to keep the edging simple.

When I designed Suncatcher, I already understood this idea, so my main task was to find that an imperceptible finishing touch.

If you look closer at Suncatcher's edging, you'll see that it consists of one lace row with additional arches at the top. If you feel that these arches look strange, you are right. It seems impossible to do the second row of arches without breaking the yarn because these arches should have more arches in between, but they don't.

This super-spiky look is made with the help of a two-story stitch which allows one row to mimic the look of two rows.

This stitch is worked in several steps and directions (I adore crochet possibilities!) and consists of a combination of multiple yarn overs and regular dc, which, when put all together, creates the spiky edge instead of a continuous line.

And mainly, it accomplishes its job perfectly by giving the shawl a row of sunny rays.





Links:



The posts you might like:

Comments

Popular Posts