RIFT: In Progress

Even the simplest design may lead to lots of discoveries, things to be learned, and skills to be polished! I planned on finishing this sweater in a week or two, but even after working on it for a month I still had a lot of things to think about. But now these decisions have been made and I am very happy with the result!


1) I am not a fan of the straight neckline lines of the basic raglan. I was curious how I could avoid this without working short rows which would break the accurate horizontal ribbing stitch pattern. The solution was a combination of round yoke construction (for front and back) and raglan (for sleeves).

2) The uneven raglan increases are used to create a perfect fit. The yoke circumference matches the body measurements and a relaxed oversize fit is achieved by adding extra stitches at the underarm. Extra short-rows are worked across the back to finish the yoke shaping and create a higher back neck.

3) I am using Malabrigo Rios and switch the skeins every second row to avoid color pooling. It took some time to discover the best way to do this neatly, as well as a way to join in the round in ribbing stitch pattern (do not ch-1 and you'll get much more accurate and invisible join!).

4) The neckline edging mimics a knit roll edge and is made with the help of the slip stitches.

5) Decreases are evenly placed along each sleeve creating a taper towards the cuff. Love neat narrow cuffs!

When I was writing this, the sweater was not finished yet, so I expected to have more things to think about. For example, the bottom edging, which I planned on working in the same ribbing stitch pattern, but vertically-oriented. To be continued!

Yarn: Malabrigo Rios in shade Ravelry Red
Pattern: Rift by Lena Fedotova

The posts you might like:

Comments

Popular Posts