CAL and FREE PATTERN: Nautical Coasters

After checking my stash, I decided to get rid of some cotton little balls and to turn them into something sweet and small: coasters, potholders, snowflakes. So I now pick a ball, find a pattern for it and crochet it here and there, having fun with it in between the rest of my projects (which are usually large and difficult, like sweaters and blankets).

I also started a Cotton Destash CAL topic in the Cup of Stitches group on Ravelry. If you like this idea, join us and get your cotton projects finished in a fun and friendly company! Show your cotton yarn, your pattern ideas, your project in progress and update us how your cotton destashing is going :)

My first destash project is the Nautical coasters:


I use the motif from the Pond Ripples collection, with a few modifications (the picots added in the last round).

 Here is the “before blocking and after it” picture:


I crochet the stitches tight. I think cotton cuties love tight stitches. So I pick up the smaller size hook than I would use for the wool yarn or cotton garments and shawls. When the piece is ready and the ends are hidden, I steam block it. Actually, I simply iron it with the WS facing. Cotton becomes softer and I fix the shape by hands, then I iron it again. After that, I let it cool and dry on the iron board (while it’s soft it can change its shape).



Happy crocheting!

Links: Cotton Destash CAL on Ravelry

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts