INTERVIEW: Craft Business magazine

by Lena Fedotova

In May I was featured in Craft Business magazine, the UK's largest-circulated trade magazine for the craft industry, covering all aspects of craft. You can download the digital issue here: www.craftbusiness.com/downloads. I was asked a few questions for guidance and here I'd like to share the full version of the interview, my thoughts and story :)  

I am a crochet pattern designer for the last six years. My designing journey has taken a few different paths, I have designed classic lace shawls, lightweight motif garments, explored colorwork and 3D effects in crochet as well as rare crochet techniques, like Lover's knot and hairpin lace. I am still very excited about Tunisian crochet. At the moment my focus is on casual garments and textured accessories.

My patterns can be found on Ravelry and LoveCrochet. I spend most of my crochet social time in the Cup of Stitches group on Ravelry. I can be also found posting my newest designs and other fun yarny things on Instagram, @ravliki.

What gives you the edge over your competitors? What makes you stand out from similar offerings?

My business strategy is fairly simple, I have a vision of what I'd like to create and then decide on the best way to bring that vision to life. I do not do any market research and do not know who my competitors are or design for the latest fad. While this may not work for everybody, it works for me and keeps me happily designing things I love. 

StarOver

When did you first discover your passion for crocheting?

When I was nineteen and already pretty skilled in knitting, I saw a piece of crocheted lace which my friend was working on to make her bridal dress. I had never seen crochet before and it was love at first sight! I am a self-taught crocheter and consider myself to still be learning.

Lover's knots, bobbles, ripples, textures!

What do you love about crocheting and what are your favorite things to crochet?


Crocheting brings challenge into my life. Being an introvert who does not want to attract a lot of attention to my clothes, I tend to create garments and accessories which do not cause the “did you do this?” reaction (at least the first reaction!). I consider my designs to be a frame to myself and my personality, as well as a frame for those who choose to crochet my designs; the designs do not play the major role in the complete picture of ourselves. The nature of crochet is to be quite expressive; it is not easy to find a way to put it on the sidelines and I love solving this puzzle.

Bee Top and Oliwin

What's your favorite ever make?


My favorite project is always the one I have just finished or am close to completing. I am just so excited about it and have to share, which brings even more joy as I see that I am not alone in my excitement.



Any particularly exciting projects in the pipeline?

At the moment, I am in process of switching from single pattern releases to collections, sets of designs inspired by a particular theme. Going Sailing and Vitamin collections' mood is in the air!



What would be your top tip for taking crocheting skills to the next level?

Be patient, curious and pay attention to the details. In my opinion, this makes the bigger difference in skill level over how many years one has been crocheting. Being attentive and observant helps you to understand the process and nature of crocheting and allows for continued growth in the art and skill of crochet no matter if you are a newbie or very experienced. I can best sum it up by saying: when curiosity ends, progress in one's skill level will likely end, too.

Comments

Popular Posts