Sandpiper: Yarn

The first yarn I started exploring Malabrigo yarns with was Malabrigo Silkpaca. It is a lace-weight yarn, soft as a cloud, thin and silky. At that time, the largest hook I had ever used was 3 mm.


Six years later, my love transformed and became much larger :) Rios, worsted weight, is one of the yarns I prefer most of all now. Typically I use a 5-6 mm hook with it.

I've been thinking a lot about this change and feel I have found the answer as to why it came to be: the crux of the matter is the stitch patterns I used before versus the ones I use now. They are so different!

Tall stitches, fans and bobbles look so lovely in lace yarn (before); however, short stitches and textured patterns (now), seem to scream for a heftier yarn to highlight their beauty.

Being worked in lace-weight yarn, these short or textured stitches would lose part of their charm because these small stitches become even smaller and flatter.

'Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves...'


Links:
Porcelain Berry shawl pattern on Ravelry
Sandpiper pattern on Ravelry
Breeze Collection on Ravelry
Breeze Collection Lookbook

Yarn:
Malabrigo Silkpaca in shade Polar Morn
Malabrigo Rios in shade Sand Bank

Comments

Popular Posts